Thursday, October 02, 2003

Intricate simplicity

Miracle? What constitutes miracle? Supernatural act? I am not trying to downplay and dilute the word miracle but every move we make and take I believe is a miracle in itself. Every breath even it’s a miracle. Breathing is so simple that it’s taken for granted. Thinking of its underlying biological sophistication, you will know there’s more to it than just of an intake and outflow of air. Looking at a tree on a windy day also brings miracle into perspective. Just by looking at how individual leaves are being rustled by the wind is no easy matter. The physics of the dynamic of the airflow on individual leaves are complicated enough to be modeled into simulation on a computer. Complexity haunts me. Yet I think. The saying goes “I think, therefore I’m depressed”. The process of thinking down to its most detailed details at whatever atomic level is just mind-boggling. Neuron, chemical reaction and electrical pulses between nodes have barely scratched the surface of its intricacy. People said science can explain away God but that is just quite the contrary. C.S.Lewis once said that he believed in the existence of the sun not by seeing it, but by it he sees everything else. I’m just trying to draw parallelism to the simplicity of the gospel. The gospel has intrigue historians and theologians alike for decades and pondered, debated over them and yet, its underlying simplistic message has been the same and will always be the same. “Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed” (John 20:29). A statistic professor once replied his friend who queried about the mathematical impossibility of the Trinitarian formulae, where 1+1+1=1, the oneness of God and he answered “I am not acquainted by heavenly math.” The more we know it seems, the less we understand. So I would rather be a fool in the eyes of men than God. Men may think it’s foolish but what I really care is what matters to God… an audience of one. Even King Solomon lamented, for much wisdom comes much sorrow, the more knowledge, the more grief… meaningless… a chasing after the wind…
Hmm… maybe it is why it’s called the tree of the knowledge of good and evil… Well, I guess it should be rephrased to “I think, therefore I rejoice”.

No comments: