Thursday, October 02, 2003

Cyclical

When life seems cyclic, things started to get mundane, dryness starts to creep in. God doesn’t seem near at all and God seems like a far-fetched concept. The cup of first love which was supposedly to be overflowing seems to be leaking till parched and dusty even. Tram 48 seems to know me so well that I could seemingly hear it sigh as it screeches to a halt at the 49th tram stop. Another day. Another stereotypical day of going to university, bum around, come home, shower, and sleep. Life? Seems merely like mechanical procedure. There must be more than life to this. Paul sums it up this way, the way how we should really life to the fullest. “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). Rejoice? You might say. How can I rejoice when things go terribly wrong? When it started to downpour heavily? When the tram just whizzed past? And top it off, step into some oozy manure? Arghh…Things couldn’t be better. Yet, yes yet, Habakkuk proclaimed that though whatsoever circumstance struck, “Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.” (Habakkuk 3:18). Let’s put things in retrospect, with the mindset of Christ. Guess what? There is only one you, at this specific time, specific location which makes you, you and me, me. When you come to think of it, how unique is every individual! “I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well.” (Psalms 139:14). The only person who walks out of 8 Houghton Street, takes tram 48 and then any tram from flinders up to Melbourne University daily it’s just me. No one can substitute that. That’s what makes me special because no one will trace through what I did, am doing or will do at such specific manner. So, when things feel recurring, praise God. For no one will experience your daily routine the same as you did, at that precise point, at that exact time. Uniqueness in cyclic routine is what life is all about when it is Christ centered.

No comments: